The Mundesley Soap Box Derby made a return in dramatic style on a rain drenched street that was closed to accommodate the action on Saturday afternoon.
A gravity racer or soapbox is a motorless vehicle which is raced on a downhill road either against the clock or against another competitor.
Mundesley Soap Box Derby required an extra person for each cart to push them on a flat road so it doubled the excitement.
In addition to being built by children, there are organised competitions and races that often engage the enthusiasm of adults. However, as in the Mundesley event these things are usually entered into in a spirit of fun rather than serious competition. Often they will be fund-raisers for charity.
The event was held to raise funds for 1st Mundesley Air Scouts, funding activities for the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts.
Around 30 competitors took part in the event, creative home made soap boxes lined up and rainy weather didn’t deter the crowds gathering to form a sea of umbrellas along the race track.
The wet road surface caused some crashes and some carts rolled over, but no one was hurt and people bravely got back on the carts and carried on.
Volunteers and organizers worked throughout the day to ensure the event was a great success. It was evident that a lot of hard work was involved.
Anna Hollis, chairman of the executive committee for the Scouts group hoped the event raised around £1,000 and will be planning to hold another next year.
As well as the racing there was also stalls, refreshments, barbecue and a cake stall.
Mundesley Soap Box Derby Results
The Tom Bloxham Memorial Cup (Best overall Soap Box);
- 1st – Team F1 (Noah Gray and Luca Wrana)
- 2nd – Flying Without Wings (Wesley and Karl)
- 3rd – The Bumble Bug (Katy and Catherine)
- 1st – Fast Fox (Flora and Rachel Hale)
- 2nd – Beaver 1, Beaver 2 (Thomas Hollis and Miles Rondel
- 3rd – Izaac and Mat Hamilton
- 1st – Flying without wings (Wesley Pearce and Karl Bumfrey)
- 2nd – Bacton Youth FC (Katie Hollis and James Green)
- 3rd – The Menaces (Ophelia and Ashley Hale)
- 1st – The Slug Bucket (Minnie and Simon Michlmayr)
- 2nd – Ellie and Catherine (Georgia withdrew after a fractured hand!)
- 3rd – The Magic Flyers (Jack Wait and Thomas Rooke)
- 1st – Cool Runnings (Hunter Force ESU – Leestan Drake and Charlie Jefferies)
- 2nd – Sam and Charlotte Roberts
- 3rd – (No Third place)
- 1st – Elaine Roberts and Lara Clare
- 2nd – The Bacton Belles (Anna Hollis and Mireille Hogger)
- 3rd – The Vintage Chicks (Emma Cutting and Stacey Studd)
- 1st – Mundesley Hardware (Chris and Bryan Pearce)
- 2nd – The Renegades (David Cletheroe and Marcus)
- 3rd – Team 25 (Tim Wright and Luke Robson)
Over 100 pictures to view, share on social media or buy prints online. click on any image below to be taken to the gallery.
Cromer Soap Box Derby to be Held on Sunday, July 12 at 12:00pm, Runton Road
Scrutineering from 12.00pm
Racing from 1.00pm
Course A149 (Runton Road) – Beach Road to Morrisons Petrol Station
Adult course with chicane and jump
10 to 12 years
13 to 15 years
16 to 17 years
18 years plus
Fancy Dress Classes:
Youth Group – Fancy dress cart and driver
Pubs and Hotels – Fancy dress cart and driver
Shops and Businesses – Fancy dress cart and driver
Village – Fancy dress cart and driver
Full details, including Race Rules and Application Form, can be downloaded from the Entry Forms page of our website at www.cromercarnival.co.uk or collected from The Cottage Free-house, Louden Road, Cromer.