Keith Skipper, one of Norfolk’s leading personalities was master of ceremonies, when blue plaques honouring three of the towns greats were unveiled in Cromer today.
Cromer deputy Mayor, John Frosdick, opened the proceedings and the event was attended by Councillors and dignitaries, including, chairman of North Norfolk District Council, Cllr John Lee.
Edward Bach, homeopath and spiritual writer, was honoured by a plaque on Brunswick Terrace, where he spent winters in Cromer in the 1930s. During a visits to the coast he witnessed one of Cromer RNLI historic rescues lead by Coxswain Henry Blogg. He treated some of the survivors with his remedies to speed recovery.
Edward Bach studied medicine first in Birmingham and later at the University College Hospital, London, where he was House Surgeon.
He also worked in private practice, having a set of consulting rooms in Harley Street. As a bacteriologist and pathologist he undertook original research into vaccines in his own research laboratory. Members of the Bach family travelled to north Norfolk from afar for the unveiling.
Priscilla Buxton, a major activist in the national women’s anti-slavery campaign, was honoured by a plaque at North Lodge. She lived at Cromer Hall and Northrepps Hall in the 1820s and 30s. Priscilla was the daughter of Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, one of the founders of the male only Anti-Slavery Society.
As a teenager she gathered petitions on his behalf and evidence to go into his parliamentary speeches. If she wanted to watch the debates in parliament, she had to do so via a ventilation shaft in the ceiling, the only place women were allowed. In 1832 she became the co-secretary of the London Female Anti-Slavery Society.
Cindy Buxton, who is a sixth-generation descendent of Priscilla Buxton, said “I’m delighted to be here, and it’s an honour to have been asked. Today would also have been Priscilla’s birthday.”
The plaque to Clement Scott, theatre critic and travel writer, who penned the expression Poppyland in a poem, was unveiled on the Hotel de Paris, designed by renowned Norfolk architect George Skipper.
Clement Scott was an influential English theatre critic for the Daily Telegraph and other journals, and a playwright, lyricist, translator and travel writer, in the final decades of the 19th century.
His style of criticism, carried out on the first night of productions, set the standard for theatre reviewers through to today.
In 1883, the Daily Telegraph printed an article which Scott had written about a visit to the north Norfolk coast. He became very fond of the district and gave it the name Poppyland.
Cromer Town Council has an ongoing programme to install three blue plaques per year.